It’s hard to believe that a new decade is now upon us. The 2010s were an exhilarating time for me both personally and professionally…
It was a decade ago when I assumed the role of building an ERM program from the ground up for a large Florida property insurance company. That experience led me to establish this blog and my consulting practice in 2016 with the mission of helping others learn how they can harness ERM to ensure their organization’s success.
My first post for each of the last couple of years has been a compilation of resources, both internal and external, that you can use for helping you grow professionally and deliver value through ERM.
In keeping with this tradition and to celebrate the beginning of a new decade, I want to offer my personal list of top 20 risk management (…and other) resources for 2020.
My top 10 favorite ERM Insights posts from the last year…
Instead of listing the most popular posts, below are some my favorite posts from the last year.
- 8 Ways Enterprise Risk Management is Different (…and Better) than Traditional Risk Management (updated with new insights and more details)
- 16 Essential Questions to Ask for Effective Scenario Planning
- Risk Monitoring: 6 Considerations for Understanding the Make or Break Moment for ERM
- Reputation: A Standalone Risk?
- How Regulators Perpetuate Enterprise “List” Management
- The Board’s Role in Risk Oversight and Why It’s Important
- ERM: The Non Risk-Centric Approach
- Using an ERM Assessment Process to Understand Vendor Risks
- Maximize your Impact as a Risk Professional by Developing Strategic Thinking Skills in 4 Steps
- ERM Outputs Do Not Equal Reports
Each of these articles dives into an important aspect of ERM and contain links to other relevant articles or outside resources.
Next, let’s dive into some different external resources I have either found very helpful or plan to be reading in the year ahead.
My 5 favorite external resources from the last year…
This list includes resources I am currently reading and often reference here on the blog.
- Hans Læssøe – visit his LinkedIn page for regular commentary or check out his book Prepare to Dare. He is currently working on a new book, Decide to Succeed, which I am looking forward to reading.
- Norman Marks – visit his blog or check out some his previous books, World Class Risk Management and Risk Management in Plain English: A Guide for Executives.
- Executive Guide to Consultants by David Fields – a guide for helping executives and organizations find the right consultant and realize success from outside experts.
- Moments of Impact by Chris Ertel and Lisa Kay Soloman – learn the secrets to designing impactful, problem-solving strategic conversations.
- EQ Applied by Justin Bariso – gain insights into how to use emotional intelligence to make huge strides in your business relationships and interactions with peers and executives.
5 Books for 2020’s Reading List
I always have a stack of books that I want to read. Here are the 5 I am looking forward to reading the most during 2020.
- Consulting on the Inside by Beverly Scott and B. Kim Barnes – after all, ERM is truly a consulting service offered to executives and the board, just sometimes from inside the organization.
- Making Business Sense of Technology Risk by Norman Marks – we’re all familiar with the growing number of technology risks, but how do these factor into the business as a whole?
- The Black Swan by Nassim Nicholas Taleb – whether positive or negative, black swans are those highly improbable yet highly consequential events.
- Decision Quality by Carl Spetzler, Hannah Winter, and Jennifer Meyer – learn how to create value from improving your business decision-making process.
- How to Measure Anything by Douglas Hubbard – methods for developing quantitative measures of things that are considered immeasurable.
What are some of your favorite go-to resources to help you succeed?
Any other interesting books I need to put on my reading list?
To share your thoughts, leave a comment below or join the conversation on LinkedIn.
As always, if you feel a new perspective would be helpful in overcoming your ERM-related challenges, please contact me to set up a call.
Wishing you all the best in 2020!
Receive our Weekly Blog Updates
Helping companies achieve their vision and strategy, and succeeding in today's turbulent world, is something I'm honored to be a part of. Whether you're an occasional blog visitor or a long-term client, thank you for letting us be a part of your journey.