Every organization is at a different stage with their risk management practices, but regardless of where you are, you are making plans for 2018 on how to take the next step …and trying to figure out how it all works together.
Before I get into the ERM Insights by Carol resources, here are a few sources I read to stay up-to-date on general news and specific ERM commentary:
- North Carolina State University’s ERM Initiative, including their 2017 State of Risk Oversight report.
- St. John’s University Center for Excellence in ERM, including director Paul Walker’s blog at RiskAcumen.com and LinkedIn profile.
- Norman Marks’ blog and World Class Risk Management book
- Enterprise Risk Magazine
- Risk Management Magazine
- Common business publications for strategy, leadership, organizational culture, and similar topics, including Forbes, Harvard Business Review, Inc. Magazine, and numerous daily news sites.
Of course, my way of thinking about enterprise risk management is not necessarily mainstream…so I want to also provide you with a compilation of the top recommended ERM Insights by Carol resources. Note that you will find links to reference resources within many of these articles.
Making the Case for ERM to Executives:
- 8 Ways ERM is Different (…and better!) than Traditional Risk Management
- Do Non-Profits need Enterprise Risk Management?
- 8 Possible Consequences of Not Being Proactive in Risk Management
- 2 Simple Steps to Knowing if Your Organization Needs Enterprise Risk Management
ERM Program Basics:
- Launching an ERM Program
- Guide to Developing an ERM Program
- 4 Critical Things Organizations Must Do to Ensure an ERM Program’s Success
- Techniques Used by One of the World’s Largest Automakers for Identifying Future Risks
- 5 Effective Methods of Risk Identification at Your Organization
- 4 Risk Response Strategies You Will Have to Consider After Assessing Risks
Maturing ERM and Integrations:
- The Next Frontier of Enterprise Risk Management: From Compliance to Strategy
- Enterprise Risk Management as a Strategic Tool for Companies
- Linking ERM to Strategy
- 3 Best Practices for Factoring Risk into your Strategic Planning Process
- Taking ERM to the Next Level: Adding Value to Projects and Processes
- Supply Chain Risk Management: Ensuring You can Survive a Vendor Outage
Regulatory and Oversight
- Straightforward Answers about ORSA and What It Means for Insurance Companies’ ERM Initiatives
- ERM Not Formally a Factor in Credit Ratings Issued by Top Agency
What books and resources do you read to stay up-to-date on current events and risk management?
I’m interested to learn what resources you find useful and why. To share, simply leave a comment below or join the conversation on LinkedIn.
And if you’re ready to dive a little deeper on your specific ERM challenges, I invite you to complete my quick consulting and coaching waitlist form. I will reach out to those on this list on a first-come, first-serve basis.
As we enter the New Year, my goal is to provide an even more robust resource for both the seasoned ERM practitioner and those who are just dipping their toe in the water and may not even know ERM is a solution.
I want to wish everyone a Happy New Year and best wishes for 2018!!
Sign Up For Our Newsletter
Sign Up For Our Newsletter
Helping companies achieve their vision and strategy, and succeeding in today's turbulent world, is something I'm honored to be a part of. Whether you're an occasional blog visitor or a long-term client, thank you for letting us be a part of your journey.
Most Recent Posts
Without a doubt, one of my family’s favorite holidays is Christmas. Part of the fun, especially for our son, is seeing what “Santa” brought, but most importantly, we treasure the spirit of peace and goodwill the season brings. And after what seemed to be a never-ending warm spell, the weather is expected to be good…Read More
As the end of the year draws near, I think we’d all agree that while it wasn’t without its challenges, this year also wasn’t quite as turbulent as the previous two. While a lot of people are juggling company parties, shopping for friends and family, and special activities for the kids, most companies are putting…Read More
Strategic planning is a challenge – of all people, I understand… After all the meetings, risk and data analysis, and brainstorming of the preceding months, it’s tempting to think this is the end of the road and you can relax. Contrary to this common perception though, this is exactly not the time to relax, but…Read More
Be honest – have you ever done something that you soon realized was a real rookie mistake? Me raising my hand… Considering the nature of ERM’s role to ask questions and challenge assumptions (often during conversations with executives), it can be argued that, in at least some cases, the expectations bar for risk professionals is…Read More
On occasion, I like to take some of the concepts we risk professionals think about in our jobs and apply them to different personal situations…take some of the same concepts we use when working with executives to develop corporate strategy and manage risks or uncertainty around that strategy. It’s Thanksgiving week in the U.S. –…Read More
Periodically, I have the pleasure of speaking one-on-one with Hans Læssøe on a variety of topics around ERM, strategic risk, and other issues and trends. As you know from my previous conversations (here, here) and posts featuring his work, Hans was formerly a practitioner at the iconic LEGO Company, but even more notably, is a…Read More
Everyone likes a clear-cut template that offers an easy way to create or manage something…I mean what’s not to like about a step-by-step process for accomplishing what you want? Sometimes this can work without any issues, such as the case with the Project Management Book of Knowledge (PMBOK), ISO 9001 standard, or a new cooking…Read More
One thing I was taught to appreciate from a young age was the value of education and knowledge. It didn’t necessarily matter what the subject was, just that I always maintain a learning or growth mindset regardless of my current status in life. This mindset has served me well over the years, and it’s a…Read More
It’s amazing how technology has developed and changed our working world over time. Imagine trying to run my risk and strategy consulting firm without tools like Zoom, Box, Slack, and other ERM-specific technology tools. There is no way we would be able to serve our clients the way that we do. Just consider how the…Read More
If you’ve been handed the task of creating an ERM program for your organization, let me first offer my congratulations quickly followed by my empathy for the task ahead of you. I don’t say that to scare you but to provide a small dose of reality. Building, launching, and refining an ERM program that is…Read More